[kictanet] Bitange for President? Driving Knowledge Economy? OnlineInterview with PS Ndemo

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Thu Aug 4 10:24:08 EAT 2011

Esther,
One of the additions we shall put in the open data portal is the mapping
of Kenyan soils.  This is key to our agriculture because at the taouch of
a button you can tell what kind of food crops grow in certain locality,
how much you need to produce in order to break even, what are productivity
levels etc.

This is called smart farming.  Old economics will tell you of comparative
advantage.  For example you are far more productive growing maize in Trans
Nzoia than in Kangundo.  But what do you see.  Kangundo which can
productively grow fruits is growing maize.  In most cases farmers hadly
harvest anything.  Youth or older people want predictability in any
venture.  After which people will begin to meet their expectations.

We simply have too many people with shattered expectations.  That is why
youth find it prudent to run away fron non productive land.  We must bring
hope back and predictable expectations through ICTs.  We can confidently
promise better outcomes for people of Kangundo if we assisted them grow
crops that will produce what they want.  Exchange their goods and services
through middle men with people of Trans Nzoia.  In the process you create
employment.

Built into this are strategies of delaying consumption through value
addition and better storage capacities.  For example, we must show Kisiis
how to dry bananas for cereals production.  Cerals can even be exported
but not fresh bananas that rot and lose value.  Teach Maragilis how to
make juice from guavas.  Packaged juice can be exported instead of
importing it from South Africa.  Teach Kambas how to make juice from
mangoes.  Mango juice is the most loved juice by foreigners.  There is no
need for us to import it.  This is how wealth is created and wherever
there is money, you do not need any science to make both youth and the old
to invest their time.

People who eat ugali for the first time find it tasteless.  We must not
make this tasteless commodity to bring food insecurity to our country. If
we must have maize then we must deal with post production of the commodity
to reduce wastage.  We must have industries for canning Githeri and Mokimo
in such a way that we can delay consumption of it across seasons.  Such
that when we have a bumer harvet, we can store value from that season to
another that may be charcterised as drought.

Let us manage the entire supply chain of food in this country.

One Kenya.

Ndemo.