[kictanet] UCC attempts to block social networks

Cleophas Barmasai cbarmasai at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 22:48:18 EAT 2011

I don't think it is right to imagine that all money given to the Church end
up in pockets of a few. I think most of the churches, or at least all
mainstream  churches have strict management of collections. Most of them
ensure funds go to right use as Murigi as pointed out. Of course most of
them have no TV airing and I guess that is why it is easy to imagine the
television preachers are the main representatives of the Church in Kenya.

Cleophas

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 8:54 PM, Agosta Liko <agostal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Murigi...
>
> saying the church is good because it stops the spread of HIV ..... thats
> new.
> and if we look at the grand scheme of things, the church should not use
> sickness (HIV) to pick who gets hitched ... this is part of stigmatization
> of HIV patients
>
> ps: Did you vote with the "church" during the referendum ?
>
> Thanks
>

> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 6:41 PM, S.Murigi Muraya <murigi.muraya at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Think HIV is more of a danger to us than churches in Kenya are. Serious
>> churches (and very many do) require HIV tests before marrying people.
>>
>> This started in the 90's when Church Leaders found their members were
>> getting together with others who did not disclose they were HIV infected. In
>> less corrupt churches, HIV Tests became one of the conditions to be
>> fulfilled before performing wedding ceremonies.
>>
>> So it is hard to see how an institution that helps check the spread of HIV
>> can be a danger to Kenyan society.
>>
>> It is easier to hound Sheep instead of Political Wolves who steal Billions
>> from the Kenyan public to finance their election campaigns and to support
>> their close associates/mistresses.
>>
>> Am sure most Churches would cooperate with the Central and County Govts in
>> building databases that would help check a major cause of turmoil in Kenya.
>>
>> Am not aware of any law that requires Kenyans to disclose their HIV status
>> but it would help if we knew whether we are being conned or not.
>>
>> huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/05/china-marriage-database-p_n_804686.html

Sincerely,

Cleophas Barmasai
"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,
teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live
soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age..." (Titus 2:11,12, NKJV)