[kictanet] Defacement of another government site

Gichuki John Chuksjonia chuksjonia at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 16:48:30 EAT 2011

Actually, thats not obscurity, its Server Hardening. Changing
configurations in httpd.conf and php.ini to avoid such reconnaissance
is something any admin should be able to do, unless he learned Server
administration outside the class sitting on a window, or just guessed
the whole process .

Obscurity is like the way banks do it in Kenya. They protect the
machines in the front but internally, everything is not hardened or
protected, so it becomes easier to break in through browsers, adobe
software etc by doing APT against them etc.

./Chucks

On 4/28/11, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 15:29, Gichuki John Chuksjonia <chuksjonia at gmail.com
>> wrote:
>
>> Right now the deface has been pulled off but the box tells everyone
>> what version of Apache its running, PHP, am sure from here u can guess
>> the version of Fedora and the kernel. LOL people will never learn even
>> after how much information is drilled to them.
>>
>> Not Found
>>
>> The requested URL / was not found on this server.
>> Apache/2.2.17 (Fedora) Server at www.nationaldisaster.go.ke Port 80
>>

> Sure, but that is not the main contributing factor for the website's
> insecurity. I personally don't agree obscurity is a major factor in
> security, though it contributes a little - by wasting a few minutes for the
> black hat to figure out the software versions.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
> Nairobi,KE
> +254733744121/+254722743223
> I can't hear you -- I'm using the scrambler.

Gichuki John Ndirangu, C.E.H , C.P.T.P, O.S.C.P
I.T Security Analyst and Penetration Tester
jgichuki at inbox d0t com

{FORUM}http://lists.my.co.ke/pipermail/security/
http://chuksjonia.blogspot.com/