[kictanet] UCC attempts to block social networks

Andrea Bohnstedt andrea.bohnstedt at ratio-magazine.com
Tue Apr 26 21:21:59 EAT 2011

Yes, the walk-to-work protests in Uganda are predominantly political. I'm
quite intrigued by this: the opposition didn't manage to excite anyone
before the elections, which was a bit disappointing - but then, I thought,
perhaps just as well: Museveni had clearly taken a long, hard look at Kenya
and understood that any election would have to show a distinct victory, not
an ambiguous two percentage point lead or so. And he made sure that it was
clear. Cost Uganda a bomb, but hey, that's of limited interest to a
president for life.

Except high costs of living are of course a legitimate concern, and the
walk-to-work gimmick is quite inspired: Museveni needs to do something about
it to prevent mass dynamics from getting out of control, but there's no way
he can do anything that won't make him look cruel and silly. I mean - how
can you forbid people from walking to work, and teargas and shoot them for
it??

On a related note, yes, I understand that throwing stones won't get me
power, but I'm writing this in a power cut. Power has been off all day, and
just went off again. I have a deadline. Sure, solar lamps are great, but I
think this argument partly distracts from the fact that there is, both in
Uganda and in Kenya, systemic failure behind what people protest about:
there is little a government can do about the price of oil on global
markets, but *plenty* of other inefficiencies in the system that drive the
costs of living up: inefficiencies in the fuel transport, the fact that
there is a barely crawling railway and all goods transports are via road,
the lack of a competent agricultural extension service and irrigation, the
fact that KPLC are allowed to charge me an arm and a leg, but don't deliver,
..... Like many people in this economy, I would be able to work to my full
capacity if I weren't constantly fighting all those breakdowns - being stuck
in traffic, evading power cuts etc. And that's nothing life threatening - if
price increases mean you have to cut back on meals, or decide between doctor
and food, then it's a whole different story, and my little niggles really
fade in significance. .

This has little to do with ICT, though. But if you have power and a
functioning internet connection, here's an amusing contribution from Urban
Legend Kampala - digital content and stuff, you know, just to get us back on
track :)

http://urbanlegendkampala.com/2011/04/26/kayihura-commends-jesus-for-not-walking-to-heaven/

On 26 April 2011 20:37, <bitange at jambo.co.ke> wrote:

> Washington,
> The Ugandans are simply using inflation as a proxy to fight President
> Museveni.  We went through this in the 90's.
>
> Our consumer activists are acting selectively on the issue of inflation.
> I wish we spend more time on acting positively in such difficult times.
> Let me explain:  A young man by the name Evans Wandago invents a Solar
> Powered LED Lantern and wins the Gorbachev Innovation Award along with Ted
> Turner and Sir Berns Lee.  This Lantern is a sabsititute to some of our
> Energy requirements.
>
> I had hoped the consumer association will educate Kenyans to boycot fuel
> and support the Kenyan Innovation.  This will have meant that the entire
> Africa will follow.  Making a billion lanterns will mean an industry that
> will create as much as 100,000 jobs.  We should have lobied Kenyans to
> invest in this new venture instead of buying plots and in the process.  We
> failed on this and blamed the Government on a global crisis.  Soon the
> Chinese would mass produce the Lantern and give us concetional credit to
> purchase our invention.  Let us think positive and make our land a better
> place to live in.  There is no Government that is not gribbed in this
> inflation mess.  We have a chance to lead the world.
>

> Regards
>

> Ndemo.
>

> > On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 14:05, Rad! <conradakunga at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I think it is a very pertinent issue.
> >>
> >> What is to stop the Kenyan government doing the same thing?
> >>

> > Actually, Kenya is very likely headed towards the protests if the govt
> > doesn't do something on inflation. So let's wait and see how it will deal
> > with the situation when the time comes.
> >

> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
> > Nairobi,KE
> > +254733744121/+254722743223
> > _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
> > Please consider the environment before printing this email.

> http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/bitange%40jambo.co.ke
> >
> > The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform
> > for people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
> > regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT
> > sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and
> > development.
> >
> > KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable behaviors
> > online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and
> bandwidth,
> > share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do
> > not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.

> dangerous content by Jambo MailScanner, and is
> believed to be clean.

Andrea Bohnstedt <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/andreabohnstedt>
Publisher
+254 720 960 322

www.ratio-magazine.com
Find/post East Africa careers<http://www.ratio-magazine.com/careers/index.php>
Find/post conferences, workshops, trainings, other business
events<http://www.ratio-magazine.com/businessevents/index.php>