[kictanet] Research Report: Empowering regulators to protect consumer rights in the ICT sector

Kamotho Njenga kamothonjenga at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 17:03:05 EAT 2011

*3       REGULATORY INTERVENTION*
        Regulators should intervene more strongly to protect consumers by
encouraging operators to improve their services, by requiring greater
network coverage, and by intervening in respect of pricing and quality of
service.

Doubtlessly, regulatory action is the most relevant direction that a
regulator can seek to pursue. In virtual terms, the role of CCK as a
regulator is no different from that of a referee in a football match; to
monitor the interaction between the players and the ball as well as that
between the players themselves. Any time the ball gets out of play or
whenever there is an instance of perceived mischief by a player, the referee
must proceed to blow the whistle, donate a free kick and if need be flash
out a card of an appropriate colour.

In view of this a lot of the referee's focus must be directed on the players
to ensure that they do not run wild to the point of disillusioning the fans
(Subscribers) instead of entertaining them. Consumer units on their hand
ought to play the role of the lines men, They must raise the flag to alert
the referee in case there is a player on an offside position.

So I am fully in agreement with Steve that CCK must work closely with
consumer groups to ensure that fans get the highest possible bargain by
enforcing the aspects advanced through the cited research work. What I am
unable to comprehend  is this score of 3/15. If we were to adopt this
unforgiving style of grading, I dont think any one in this list would ever
manage anything better than a supplementary/discontinuation

Kamotho Njenga