[kictanet] Poghisio Flouting The Law in The CCK Tussle-by DMakali

Francis Hook francis.hook at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 08:30:23 EAT 2011

Sorry Walu....but I beg to differ. Let me quote some parts of the article...

" his appointment as DG was not the most applauded and I doubt the
circumstances of his re-appointment will elicit any more excitement."

so what? The hoi polloi who are now beneficiaries of his actions need not
have known about his credentials or his actions.   Or should the recent
Uhuru Park prayer meeting be the standard against which "success" should  be
measured? If that is the case, if we have to laud people o their appointment
(if we have to deem people fit even PRIOR to them rolling up their sleeves),
then I want to "de-jivunia kuwa mkenya".

"He was a lower ranked official at the same organisation when he was
elevated to the top in a recruitment exercise marked by intense lobbying and
jostling. Indeed, part of his problems arise from the internal perception
that he was helped up or bypassed more senior or deserving colleagues to
become head."

So we should endure the old guard and the old ways. Perpetrate cronyism and
jingoism in sector regulation?   Does one's tail have to be so long in order
to wag it? Is this really a precedent we want to set?

That statement in itself fells the argument.

"nowhere in the law is the minister invited to determine whether the
Commission has acted right or wrong in its disciplinary actions. That is
interference, period. "

Agreed. But, if in the first place, the basis of such decisions are
flawed...then what? What recourse is there to the DG and the Minister if the
board's decisions are not "above the board" ?

Sorry...but I think this is the wrong judgement call.   It takes away
attention from what the board's interests are and what national issues are
at stake (and which have been served as per the mandate of CCK).

Could David Makali instead elucidate what Mr Njoroge has NOT done or done
wrong rather than burying all these issues in all manner of conjecture,
hearsay and supposed adherence to the independence of CCK?

On 20 April 2011 08:00, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  It seems this saga refuses to die...
> ~~~
> The Star
> Tuesday, 19 April 2011 00:04  BY DAVID MAKALI
>
> A little over a week ago, Information and Communications minister Samuel
> Poghisio called a press conference to announce that he had revoked the
> suspension of the director general of the Communications Commission of
> Kenya.“For the avoidance of doubt, I wish to state that Charles Njoroge
> remains in office and that as the appointing authority I will proceed to
> renew his contract in line with the law,” he stated.
>

> The minister’s intervention may have seemed timely and proper. Given the
> infighting that had become the order of the day at the CCK between the board
> of directors (or some) and the director-general, some form of external
> intervention was necessary to establish order.
>
> However, questions still linger over what exactly the minister did, if it
> was legal, and if it is in the interest of the general telecommunications
> sector and the public in general. At the time of this writing, his
> re-appointment or otherwise had not been gazetted.
>
> more @
> *http://tinyurl.com/3cddk4h*
>
> walu.

Francis Hook