[kictanet] Its official - Asia Pacific runs out of IPv4 resources-vs Africa.

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 09:23:45 EAT 2011

@McTim,

For a technical audience - very true what you say (splitting hair and agreeing that IPv4 resources in Asia are not yet over ;-).

But for a "policy-business-level" audience with planning time frames of 1-2yrs, the big picture is that Asia-Pacific has reached that critical point where new businesses wishing to connect to the internet are almost "forced" into getting IPv6 rather than IPv4 since IPv4 is officially a scarce resource in that region. Furthermore the remaining balance of 16million IP resources is a drop in the ocean considering the rate at which they are gobbling these addresses in Asia-Pacific.

But more important is the implications for Africa which is that other regions  (Asia, Europe and America) will begin to be more interesting in our more "abundantly" available and  comparatively "idle" IPv4 resources. Africa is therefore potentially exposed and the scramble for its relatively idle IPv4 resources through un-orthodox (black market) means is now more tempting than before.

walu.