[kictanet] EMS Services - The Lethargy (Final Update)

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 15:02:35 EAT 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 13:47, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com>wrote:

> I hope EMS Kenya <http://www.emskenya.co.ke/> is not part of the Postal
> Services Corporation for which Bobby Yawe is pushing to be appointed as
> Director General (or is it Postmaster General) because if it is, then
> surely, Maj. General (Rtd) should really be deployed elsewhere and let Bobby
> take over the running of that corporation.
>
> Sample this:
>
> I have this gift I'd like to send to my friend in Oz (Australia). It weighs
> only 900g (0.9kg).
> I have made several inquiries and found that EMS Kenya have very
> competitive rates, so I decided I'd like to use them to deliver this
> package. Never mind that my informers tell me the parcels take at least a
> month to arrive!

[cut the long story short]

As I promised to update, I have just received the magic call from the EMS
Operations Centre. The gentleman has informed me that he was unable to
locate 2Kg Bumba Box from any of their branches.

I wish these guys could do two things:

1. Realize that efficiency in service delivery will make us get out of the
"third world" classification into the 2nd or 1st
2. That it's only us (read the service delivery agents) who can make (1)
happen.

We keep talking about efficient services in the West, yet we see why ours
are sluggish and do nothing about it, like this Head of marketing!

The gift cost me (so far) KES 10k. DHL will charge me KES 10,511 for 1kg
while UPS will charge me KES 8,157. I wouldn't mind EMS charging me KES
4,900+VAT even if the package arrives after 1 month, for it's not medicine,
but there you go! DHL and UPS are all non-Kenyan companies. Now you can see
why we require International Aid to develop ourselves!!

My next stop in this route is to call the Postmaster General to tell me why
things are like this, since he's being paid to deliver a service to Kenyans.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,