[kictanet] Stand & be counted

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 8 14:52:10 EAT 2011

 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor
P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200
Kenya

Tel: +254722511225, +254202010696

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: robert yawe <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk>
To: Kictanet Mail list <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>
Sent: Fri, 8 April, 2011 14:37:38
Subject: Stand & be counted

Hi Listers,

The issue of the CCK DG is as a result of the players in the industry being
partisan and on the other extreme dead as door knobs.  Safaricom and Orange are
partly government owned therefore CCKs activities will be based on the interests
on this organisations.

Did you notice the the launch of the number portability service happened on the
1st of April also known as Fools Day?  I do not believe this was accidental, it
was intentional which would explain the 400 ports so far.

CCK can only be independent when those who sit on the board are independent both
in mind and function but which of us is willing to put themselves forward for
appointment? NONE.

2 weeks ago my nomination for Governor of the ICT sector board at the Kenya
Private Sector Alliance (KEPSA) was thwarted because my sponsoring organisation,
CSK, has been unable to meet its subscription obligations.  I know some of you
have issues with the current leadership at CSK but they will not be resolved by
not paying your dues, with freedom comes responsibilities so we either step up
or shut-up.

To explain to all of you out there what this means is that our industry cannot
participate in making sure that organisations like CCK become independent.  The
government needs organised groups to deal with which might explain why Dr. Ndemo
posts using a none GOK email address.  KEPSA through its lobbying  and other
fora is working to be included in vetting appointments to boards and committees
of government agencies and organisations.

With a weak or at times lacking sector representations positions like CCK DG,
Potal PMG, KICT Board, appointments to parliamentary organisations and
legislative discussions will be done in our absence and all we shall be left
with is to bemoan the issues online where we have freedom but no responsibility.

As of  this writing there is an opening for a position on the Executive Board of
KEPSA to represent the ICT fraternity and if CCK or any other entity does not
recommend someone then we shall remain under-represented and soon unrepresented
in shaping the direction of this country.

There are 2 posts available for the ICT sector and at this rate both will go to
the operators who will then be free to guide the direction of government
legislation and the consumer out here will continue to scream in the wilderness
where we shall have exiled ourselves.

On what platform are we when we raise issues on Kictanet, echoing the PS's
sentiments we are nothing more than activists.