[kictanet] The Unfortunate Drama at CCK over DG's Fate: Your Take?

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 16:27:56 EAT 2011

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 15:58, Dennis Kioko <dmbuvi at gmail.com> wrote:

> What happens when a board is acting in what appears to be against the will
> of majority of the Kenyans?

Nothing. Appears does not equate to the actual will.

Seriously though, this matter is neither here nor there. If the Board has a
mandate and acted within that mandate, then the DG should only adhere to
that, the imagined "will of the majority" notwithstanding.
If it is true that he flanked the interview for the renewal of his contract,
and there is no provision that his performance (as perceived) can lead to a
reprieve, then the rules of the game must be followed. We should learn to
act based on facts/rules, not emotions/perceptions.
OTOH, if the law allows "the Minister" to overturn decisions made by the CCK
Board, then that, too, is playing by the rules.

At a personal level, while not considering whatever rules were being
followed, I'd have thought that an individual's contract should be renewed
based on performance appraisal. If the DG failed an interview which is part
of this appraisal process, then he should leave quietly.

This is what no one is willing to tell us about. Unfortunately, the minutes
of the Board are not in the public domain.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,