[kictanet] KIXP connectivity

Fiona Asonga tespok at tespok.co.ke
Thu Sep 30 16:05:33 EAT 2010

Hallo Robert,

The joining requirements I have shared are based on CCK’s license to KIXP. KIXP has been shut down once and we definitely are careful not to get shut down again by CCK.

Incidentally, KIXP is the only licensed IXP in Africa and one of the few license regulated IXP in the world with conditions that bar the IXP from offering services to non-licensed entities even when it is obvious that these entities are providing valuable service that would make sense if shared to the public by all peering members.

If government or rather CCK would be willing to review the several proposals TESPOK has so far tabled based on international best practice we would most probably be able to get a wider range of service providers into the IXP. At the end of the day even government will be expected by the industry to operate their IXP as per the similar stringent rules/guidelines that have been applied to KIXP. We hope it will not be a case of preaching water and drinking wine. I actually think government setting up their IXP and applying the same rules that have been applied on KIXP will actually work out well for the industry and look forward to it.

We would love to welcome as may peering members as space can allow but our hands are tied.

Regards

Fiona Asonga
Chief Executive Officer
Telecommunications Service Providers Association of Kenya/
Kenya Internet Exchange Point
14th Floor, Bruce House
Standard Street

Tel: +254 20 2245 036
Cell: +254 721 713 504

“Industry voice in Telecommunications, Providing Policy and Direction
within the Industry and Government”