[kictanet] ISPs slap Ndemo

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 23 17:54:15 EAT 2010

If only we could create local content and then have CCK force the ISPs to
provide unlimited access for the local loop thus allowing me to run a streaming
server with 10 times faster response than Utube, allow the media houses to offer
video on demand.

I totally reject the model where I am provided with a bandwidth constraint
whether I am going to Yahoo or to a local site.  Content begins at home, the
content we are all chasing, e.g. facebook, is local content to a surfer in the
US look at the social sites in China where the need for accessing foreign sites
is only for less than 10% who unfortunately make all the noise.  The same
applies here I am asking that we make a clear distinction between local and
international traffic.

In the days of Karisi Communications (1996), which was the pre-courser to
AfricaOnline, they offered unlimited local email and charged an additional fee
for international email.  This model was brilliant as we proceeded to form
vibrant forums.

Unfortunately the company for taken over by short sighted individuals who kept
dreaming of American content for all thus getting us to this point we are at
today.

The writing is on the wall, create local content or perish.

Regards

Soweto uprising
Black students in Soweto protested against the Afrikaans Medium Decree of 1974
which forced all black schools to use Afrikaans and English in a 50-50 mix as
languages of instruction. The Regional Director of Bantu Education (Northern
Transvaal Region), J.G. Erasmus, told Circuit Inspectors and Principals of
Schools that from January 1, 1975, Afrikaans had to be used for mathematics,
arithmetic, and social studies from standard five (7th grade), according to the
Afrikaans Medium Decree; English would be the medium of instruction for general
science and practical subjects (homecraft, needlework, woodwork, metalwork, art,
agricultural science). Indigenous languages would be used for religion
instruction, music, and physical culture
 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor
P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200