[kictanet] ISPs slap Ndemo

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 23 14:14:17 EAT 2010

Yes WHOLESALE prices are down by 80% but RETAIL prices remain
relatively high.  Are the ISP/Telco eating up the difference by way of
SUPER-PROFITS?

Not sure. There are multiple and intermediary variables that play
between the Wholesale Level and the Retail Level that includes, but not
limited to Cost of Local loops, Usage/Volume Levels,  Local Content,
Regulatory& Competition Environments, Charging Models, etc.

The challenge is to get a way in which to measure and establish
which of the above variables will have the biggest, positive and
sustainable impact on Retail Internet pricing.  Worse still, a "wrong"
distortion of any of the above maybe counterproductive to the others in
the long run. It requires a delicate balance of the whole ecosystem.

But perhaps I could be wrong..

walu.