[kictanet] Unavailable Safaricom offer

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 22 09:59:44 EAT 2010

Hi,

Safaricom staff finally contacted me and I was able to sign-up, but a little
late for me to qualify for the free PSP, the installers where sent out promptly
which is more than I can say about some of the other providers such as KDN who 6
months after doing a site survey have never even sent me a quotation.

The installers had a concern with the WiMax signal strength and decided not to
commission which I believe was a positive sign as it is better to have a delay
than get a service that is wanting.  They have promised to have the service up
today.

Zaine aka Bharti where very quick to sell me modems under the pretext of being
able to provide a workable VPN solution, it has been 3 months and they are
unable to provide sufficient bandwidth through a private APN.  It is said once
bitten twice shy, but I have got myself bitten twice by Zaine on the issue of
VPN provision.  After Safaricom has installed my Wimax link I will then test
their ability to deliver a working VPN link something they where not able to do
6 months ago.

As you might remember I finally got safaricom signal in the house after a new
BTS was installed in the area, but from the issues that the installer is having
with the Wimax it is clear that when the BTS was being put up Safaricom did not
include Wimax capability, even thought it was clear that the mast was to serve a
prime location with over 1,000 households.

This is an indication that Safaricom, like GOK, is suffering from a silo
condition where there is a lack of harmonisation across departments.  With over
15M customers and 4,200 employees it is bound to happen and is likely to be the
new CEOs headache especially now that he will need to resolve the issue with
reduced revenue.

All said and done, Safaricom still remains the better option, for now.
 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor
P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200