[kictanet] KPLC should embrace technology and save kenyans millions

Edwin Onchari eonchari at lynxbits.com
Thu Sep 16 15:36:30 EAT 2010

Dear KPLC,

Here is a brief picture(example from what I have experienced in last 1 year)
that is disturbing and unfortunately resonates with millions of Kenyans
privileged to have power in their houses/offices:

Month

Bill

Meter reading

1-5

Average 1000 KES

Estimate

6 - 8

Average 1100 KES

Estimate

9

17000 KES

Meter reading

Now: If KPLC invested in locally developed and available technology,
customers can actually monitor their electricity usage, versus the readings
on their meters and what is shown on the invoices.

The sad story about these fluctuations is that KPLC insists that you must
pay the higher amounts, then go to their ever unending queue at electricity
house (good luck if you have a car because parking in Nairobi is another
nightmare), where a customer care agent (with no etiquette) will tell you to
produce all receipts for the year to sort out your problem. Now, I work
along Mombasa road, which means that I have to halt my income generating
engagements to navigate through unending traffic so that I can go queue for
hours and face a customer care agent that will rudely handle my case, to no
conclusion and brace myself for another such session in less than a year
later! Any affordable solar solutions out there for apartment duelers?
Because I terribly need one.

Edwin