[kictanet] Need to regulate trans-border data flow

Ngũgĩ Kĩmani ngugi at mafundi.co.ke
Sun Oct 24 13:52:54 EAT 2010

As Kenya becomes more and more ICT-dependent, and personally identifiable
information becomes more and more public, I think it is time we took
seriously the importance to regulate trans-border data flow. Bodies like the
UN take the flow of their employees information between countries very
seriously in this time of border-less ICT communication. We as Kenyans also
need to ensure our citizens' information remains here in Kenya as much as
possible, and the first step towards that would be to have our own locally
hosted ICT services similar to the likes of Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter etc.

Guess what the impact of exposing such information would be in the long run,
should the 'people' in possession of that information decide to make
destructive use of it.

My thoughts.

--
Ngũgĩ Kĩmani | Fundi wa Mitambo | 0772 576846 |
http://www.mafundi.co.ke/home