[kictanet] Inviting Applications for the 2011 Anita Borg Scholarship

alice at apc.org alice at apc.org
Sat Oct 23 15:22:37 EAT 2010

Inviting Applications for the 2011 Anita Borg
Scholarship<http://feedproxy.google.com/%7Er/OfficialGoogleAfricaBlog/%7E3/IjARElmpeoI/inviting-applications-for-2011-anita.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email>

As part of Google's ongoing commitment to encourage women to excel in
computing, we are pleased to announce the 2011 Google Anita Borg Memorial
Scholarship: Europe, the Middle East and Africa. The Anita Borg Memorial
Scholarship <http://www.google.com/anitaborg-emea/>, established by Google
in 2004, honors Dr. Anita Borg, a computer science pioneer who dedicated her
life to changing the way we think about diversity and technology.

In 2010, 350 students applied for the award, and among them, our first
applicants and winners from Africa. Google awarded a total of two
scholarships and two finalist positions to female sub-Saharan African
students<http://google-africa.blogspot.com/2010/05/introducing-googles-2010-africa-anita.html>,
from four universities in South Africa, Ghana and Uganda. You can find a
complete list of all US, European, Middle Eastern and African scholars and
finalists on the Official Google
Blog<http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/introducing-googles-2010-anita-borg.html>
.

We hope to make the 2011 Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship as
successful as it has been in the past. The scholarship is for female
students studying Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Informatics or
closely related technical fields. Every year scholarship finalists and
recipients are invited to visit Google’s Engineering Centre in Zurich for an
all-expenses-paid retreat: check out the YouTube
video<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsJbU2RHq2s>and web
site <http://www.google.com/anitaborg/emea/retreat.html>. The deadline for
applications is 1st February 2011. For more information about Anita Borg and
the Memorial Scholarship, please visit our scholarship
site<http://www.google.com/anitaborg/emea/>.