[kictanet] The big Kwaheri: reflecting on 10 years on the MJ 10yr safari and his-tory - day 5

Harry Karanja kairo at softlaw.co.ke
Fri Oct 15 12:58:03 EAT 2010

MJ has accomplished a lot in a relatively short time: from generating enormous wealth for Safaricom’s shareholders to creating employment directly and indirectly for hundreds of thousands of Kenyans, Safaricom has left an indelible mark in Kenya’s economy.

Sadly I believe that MJ had the resources, political clout, and stamina to do so much more at Safaricom and I rue the missed opportunities.

1.       Promoting Kenya’s software developers community. MPESA is definitely Safaricom’s best ever product but it is disappointing that MJ did not ensure that the intellectual property for this product remained in Kenya and contributed to Kenya’s budding developers’ community. I do not know who developed MPESA but I know there existed sufficient technology expertise in Kenya to do it but currently Safaricom must pay license fees to Vodafone to use MPESA and woe unto us the day someone decides to stop paying the license fees. It was also telling that the aborted  Safaricom Innovation Forum seemed to perpetuate this thinking, so more MPESA-like ideas would still have been lost to Vodafone. See the disturbing clauses below of the Innovation Forum’s terms and conditions [the forum has since been taken down]

   “(a) That the submissions and its contents will automatically become the property of Safaricom, without any compensation whatsoever to you;

    (b) That Safaricom may use or redistribute the submissions and their contents for any purpose and in any way;”

2.       Breaking the culture of impunity. As our region’s largest and most respected company, I would have wished that Safaricom used its prominence as a bully pulpit to encourage the changing of business ethics in East Africa for the better. As it is however, Safaricom’s own business ethics were questionable as it stood accused of unethical business practices (remember Riftberry saga) , overcharging its customers (and only giving refunds when challenged) and talking down to its’ customers (peculiar calling habits), agents (ignoring phone calls, agent visits), competitors(Bharti’s pricing strategy is unsustainable and Safaricom has no intention of getting engaged in similar pricing) and partners (Barclays  & other banks - Work with us or we take over Kenya's retail banking). MJ had a great opportunity to show how private sector could change the culture of arrogance and impunity that is engraved in the Kenyan psyche, but sadly this never happened.

3.       Promoting an open society. As the largest provider of communication and information services, Safaricom was best placed to agitate for freedom of access to public information and privacy of individuals. However it chose to send out SMS at the request of the government during Kenya’s darkest hour instead of remaining neutral and meekly supported the registration of SIM cards which has no backing in law, and no justifiable use apart from privacy invasion by the government/Safaricom.

So as we celebrate what has been accomplished in 10 years by MJ, I feel we should also point out to him what more he could have done; and hopefully can do in his next venture for which I wish him the very best.

Harry Karanja