[kictanet] The big Kwaheri: reflecting on 10 years on the MJ 10 yr safari and his-tory - day 3

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Wed Oct 13 02:00:00 EAT 2010

Listers,
I first met Michael in early 2005 while researching on backward and
forward linkages between Large and Small Enterprises.  After several
attempts to secure an appointment, Michael agreed that I meet him after
hours around 5.30 pm.  He seemed busy but nevertheless he accepted that I
interview him.  We moved to a mall waiting room with his usual impatience
written all over his face.  I got want I wanted and bid him goodbye.
Months later I was to be PS in the Ministry and later Safaricom Board
member.  Here I got to know Michael better.  Many a time he thought of my
ideas as wacky and impossible but this was him.  Never rushed at decision
making.  In short I concluded that he is a reflective person and uses that
practice to manage a complex situation.  It is almost practically
impossible to wiggle around Kenyan Politicians and remain relevant in
modern world.   How Michael managed to stay sane and move Safaricom
forward, it requires a whole book-- Reflections of Kenyan Politicians.

Reflective practice in management is referred to an active process which
involves examination of past experiences and gaining some conclusions that
can inform future activities.  In my most desperate moment Michael applied
this theory to change how things are in Kenya now.  As we planned for
Teams Cable, Michael hired the services of one prominent caucasian lawyer.
 In one of the meeting, the Lawyer said that this cable can never be built
and only if Safaricom pays for it.  He insintuated that we (Kenyans) were
not cabable of doing such a huge project.

I felt for once to do something I had never done in my life, to punch the
guy and knock out his teeth and then resign the following hour but I
decided to take a deep breath and said perhaps this would be the end of
the project.  I called the meeting off and decided to write a strong
letter to Michael protesting the unwarranted attack by the lawyer.
Michael appologised and later brought the issue of Teams to the Board.
Although he too may have not believed that Teams would succeed, he surely
reflected on the impact of the investment and decided to invest.

On another significant project, Malili now Konza Technology City I asked
Michael to put up a Safaricom Towers.  He quickly said “never
. How do you
buy just a plain piece of land out of nowhere
I don’t know how you think”.
 Later he had different views on Malili ..he may have reflected once
again.

>From my interview to Teams and Malili, it is evident Michael indeed
reflects on what he does and possibly we should all emulate that.  In the
field of reflective practice in Management, one only needs to ask
him/herselve the following four simple questions:
• What should have happened?
• What actually happened?
• What were the differences?
• What did we learn?

I am looking forward to a book from Michael.  On my part, I shall at least
have a chapter.   As a student of Management, I urge Michael to take up a
start up and apply the same principals he did on Safaricom.  This is what
will create new theories of Management.  We shall miss you from the
Safaricom pinacle and hopefully not from our sector.

Ndemo.

> Hi Listers
>
> I like the comments that are coming through  and the theories behind MJ
> tenure  - Sam for example offer scientific proof that MJ  is not the first
> born  in his family a key contributory factor. Do you agree?
>

> Edith points out what the successor to MJ should do.  This is our
> opportunity to shape that transition  the successor  and the destiny of
> Safaricom going forward
>

> MJ has been around for 10 yrs and know the  ICT terrain well and has
> largely
> shaped it . as he hands-over the reins of power and glory , what advice
> should he tell the successor?
>

> What should MJ tell the successor in your view to maintain the momentum of
> ICT development ?
>

> cheers
>

> Muriuki Mureithi

dangerous content by Jambo MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.