[kictanet] What is the better option?

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 15:31:35 EAT 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 3:11 PM, ESTHER MUCHIRI <emuchiri at andestbites.com>wrote:

>  Listers
>

> In yesterday’s Daily Nation, a one-page advert by ZAIN titled “be the
> judge” revealed that Safaricom charges for SMS are 3/- within network and
> 5/- to other networks. However, in today’s Daily Nation, Safaricom has hit
> back with their new SMS tariff of 20 cents for 100 sms per day etc.
> Unfortunately, one has to subscribe by dialing *188#, and I guess once you
> exhaust the bundle, you roll back to the standard rates??

On this one, I believe it's only Safaricom who can give you an authoritative
response. However, you should have read their *terms and conditions* which
we all always happen to ignore. I believe they do spell out how it works.

> Also, which telco is offering the most affordable unlimited broadband
> Internet? I want to shift….

I think first you need to define what "unlimited" and "broadband" are in the
Kenyan context. Those two terms put together never have a clear meaning,
given that the term "unlimited" is quite ambiguous. You can never have
"unlimited" in reality, and especially when it comes to "broadband". They
cannot allow you to utilize all their pipe capacity for 365 days, or do you
suppose so?

If the aforegoing is acceptable to you, then it's clear you understand your
needs and as such are able to make a decision based on that. I use both
Orange and Safaricom (either via the USB dongles or the 3G router that
Safaricom sells). My usage is based on the bundles I buy. Safaricom is more
expensive in the cost/MB bundle compare to Orange. However, coverage
matters. There are places Orange EvDO doesn't work quite too well but
Safaricom 3G does. You have to juggle. I hate it, but it's the same thing as
having several SIM cards - you know why you do that, right?

So make a decision on whether you want broadband at home or "everywhere" and
what your budget is - unless you also have unlimited. You need to talk about
speeds (data transfer rates - for that is what defines broadband) and
contention ratios. Pick your phone and start calling the providers. Listen
to all the propaganda and then decide.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,