[kictanet] IGF News

Alice Munyua alice at apc.org
Wed Nov 24 22:53:35 EAT 2010

Thank you Waudo.

The second committee of the general assembly negotiated the final
version of the draft resolution (see attached) that focuses on the
renewal of the mandate of the IGF. Consultations have been taking place
in New York  on the margins of the general assembly and the final text
on the IGF is expected to be adopted in  December to be forwarded to the
GA plenary for consideration and adoption

This final draft resolution contains a provision that would see the
extension of the IGF for a further 5 years, inviting the secretary
general to convene a Multi-stakeholder IGF.

Kenya will be hosting the 2011 IGF with its renewed mandate in
September, dates to be firmed up.

The Kenya  organizing committee  for the IGF,  launched by P.S. Dr.
Ndemo   in June 2010, has been working with the current IGF secretariat
and other stakeholders to prepare for this and we  proudly look forward
to hosting yet another significant Internet Governance process in Kenya.

very best

Alice

The final text of the draft resolution, dated November 19, can be viewed
here:
http://igbook.diplomacy.edu/2010/11/igf-renewal-a-step-closer-second-committee-to-approve-final-text-on-nov-30/