[kictanet] My testimony of Peirre Dandjinou - an "unusual" leader

emko at internetresearch.com.gh emko at internetresearch.com.gh
Thu Nov 18 12:40:57 EAT 2010

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN,

Dear Sir/Madam,

In the wake of current developments and without prejudice, i present my
testimony of Mr. Peirre Dandjinou - an "unusual" leader of our time. i
first encountered Peirre Dandjinou at an AfNOG/AfriNIC meeting in the turn
of the 21st century and he made time to engage on ideas to grow the
Internet in Africa, we have since being engaged at the level of ideas and
doing things for Africa.

Mr. Dandjinou cuts across on language lines, very fluent in english and
french, am sure in other languages that am not aware of. His disposition
is soo African, it took me a while to realise he is of Beninou extraction.
Worked in the UN System as a diplomat and at the same time engaged with
the African private sector, he has a unique ability to balance the
interest of governments, civil society, academia and private sector - an
unusual leadership skill. Interestingly, he has such a quite and inclusive
nature that he can do all the ground work for a meeting and during the
event, he wont say a word and at the end, he would say, WE had a great
meeting, now lets get to action. He is one of those leaders, who leader
from behind by building community. Even when you disagree with him, he
would find something that you both agree on and say, lets focus on that.

He is the "unseen" leader in the building of the Af* institutions namely
AfNOG, AfriNIC, AfrISPA, AfriCANN, AfTLD, AfRALO, AfFREN and now AfCERT. I
must put on record that when we were establishing AfrISPA, he was one of
the quiet advisors who would tell you what to do and when to say what and
what not to do or say. When there is geat controversy and someone is
discounted, Peirre would echo "atleast lets hear his or her side of the
story" and conclude "whether we like it or not, he or she is part of the
African story". Am sure if a court of competent jurisdiction sentenced
someone to death without giving them a hearing, Peirre would still echo
"lets hear his or her side of the story" - it takes great patience and an
unusual substance for humanity to have that nature.

The ICANN Community of which am a peripheral participant stands to benefit
greatly from such an "unusual" leader and i submit that any institution
that takes Peirre Dandjinou unto it's board would be greatly enhanced by
an "unusual leader".

To conclude, let me sound a caution; we as Africans "sacrificed" our
leaders (Nkrumah, Nyerere, Uhuru etc) of the post colonial era and thats
why we are where we are, please lets not make that mistake again in the
21st century when history beckons with new leaders in the likes of Peirre
Dandjonou and co.

On a lighter note, i like to call him PDD, if you know what i mean.....:-)

Eric here

Eric M.K Osiakwan
Director
Internet Research