[kictanet] Fwd: [ NNSquad ] Facebook's new chat/email feature apparently records everything you say

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 21:55:13 EAT 2010

Listers,

You have been warned!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren at vortex.com>
Date: Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 9:47 PM
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Facebook's new chat/email feature apparently
records everything you say
To: nnsquad at nnsquad.org

Facebook's new chat/email feature apparently records everything you say

Based on *preliminary information* I heard from the Facebook launch
announcement today for their new "chat/email" system (Facebook keeps
insisting that it isn't really email), users will *not* have the
ability to declare chats or related conversations to be "off the
record" -- everything will apparently be recorded.  Individual users
will have the ability to archive or delete their *own* copies of
transcripts, but it appears that there is explicitly *not* a
functionality similar to Google's "off the record" chat feature, which
permits users to declare that their conversations with given
individuals should not be routinely preserved.  "It just didn't make
sense for us," were pretty much the words that Zuckerberg used in
response to a question on this topic.

We'll have to wait for more info, but this could be a major privacy
problem in the making.

--
Cheers,

McTim