[kictanet] Safaricom 3G Data Bundles - Skewed Decisions

John Kieti jkieti at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 12:51:55 EAT 2010

Washington,

This is one of the expected moves by Safaricom - of  attempting to convert
their loyal voice customers to loyal data customers. They basically need to
continue milking their ''Cash Cow' (voice) and at the same time urgently
prop up their new revenue streams (eg. data).

For some account, I used to have an average monthly invoice of 8K about 3
years back, this fell to 3K 1 year back. More recently I was pleasantly
surprised by a sub1K bill. Their revenue graphs have these trends screaming
at them and no wonder the urgency to secure our loyalty to their newer
product lines. That could restore a monthly bill like mine above to about 3k

Best Regards

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com>wrote:

> Sometimes I wonder how the think tanks at Safaricom reason: What is the
> difference between a PrePay 3G Internet user and a PostPay one, that makes
> the PostPay one be given preferential treatment/consideration??
>
> On The DN of today, Safaricom has an Ad on Pg 3 on which they have
> increased the 3G bundle amounts (disproportionately anyway), BUT ONLY FOR
> PostPay customers?
>
> Seems like those elitist tendencies.
>
> I have used Safaricom modem data bundles from the start on PrePay, hence my
> annoyance at Safaricom favoring PostPay (though I am a PostPay voice user).
>
> Safaricom has now decided the PostPay user should get 700MB, up from 300MB
> for KES 999.
>
> For now I'll stay with Orange. They give me 1GB for KES 850, not KES 999.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
> Nairobi,KE