[kictanet] [Fwd: [reformsnow] If we vote YES for the proposed Constitution

Wainaina Mungai wainaina at madeinkenya.org
Wed May 26 17:21:47 EAT 2010

Since this has been brought up on-list, I presume  we are free to
comment on-list ;-)

My comments are on the link between;
a) Abortion and 'any other written law' in the context of
international law that may allow abortion or 'county law' that may be
determined after we pass the draft. Will treaties of other
international instruments that are automatically effected via this
draft be considered 'any other written law'?

b) From my little reading, Kadhi courts are not 'customary courts' in
the same way as native courts, which became 'magistrates courts'. They
are RELIGIOUS COURTS. Let's not pretend about that. If they were
similar to magistrates courts as put forward by our 'expert', then a
Christian or Hindu student of Islamic law may as well qualify to be
appointed as a Kadhi. Kadhi courts are not open courts the same way as
a muslim or Hindu can be appointed as a magistrate or Chief Justice.

A Christian or Hindu woman who proves himself in administering Islamic
law cannot become a Kadhi, even if he is the financier (tax-payer) of
such courts.

Overall, this CoE draft seems like a Yes. It is only fair if we start
to identify the bits of the draft that need to be amended once it is
passed. The No campaign at the previous referendum always used to
remind us that one rotten potato spoils the whole sack of potatoes.
What has changed? Doesn't that wisdom still apply? ;-) There is alot
Banking sector is concerned about in relation to the chapter on land
and manufacturers/investors have queries that have gone unanswered in
attempts to avoid being branded a 'no' campaigner.

I say, vote for the draft on condition we also agree on things that
must be amended either before or after August 2010. Even the pro-yes
brigade of President Kibaki and PM Raila admit it is not perfect and
'tutabadilisha hapo pengine'.

Let's discuss the 'hapo pengine' today, not after 4th August.

--
Sent from my mobile device

Wainaina Mungai
-----
http://www.bungesms.com
http://www.madeinkenya.org
http://www.wainainamungai.com

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life
of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by
being shared. ~ Buddha~