[kictanet] Lighting Africa 2010

Oscar Correia oscar at nbi.ispkenya.com
Fri May 21 00:31:55 EAT 2010

Hi all,

Over the last 2 days I attended some of the sessions at the Lighting Africa
(a World Bank Group initiative) conference at Safari Park, where I learned
quite a few things:

1.       Africa will have 700 million people without electricity by 2030.

2.       Consumers are spending $10-17 billion on fuel-based lighting
products. This represents 10-30% of their disposal income. Can you imagine
how alternative energy sources could allow them to use their income more
effectively (e.g. education, communication)?

3.       Potential for SMEs to grow in this area as well as build meaningful
ecosystems.

4.       How carbon trading actually works and some of the big challenges in
getting it to really work for SME.

I am trying to get some of the presentations from the organizers and am
willing to share if anyone is interested.

Oscar