[kictanet] Projects - National Implementation - ICT

Harry Hare harry at africanedevelopment.org
Thu Mar 25 20:14:40 EAT 2010

Hey Andrew, I agree with you on the ³Golden Nuggets² in the service, I have
worked with some too. But I pointed to a specific carder of officers that
seem to be in short supply in the service. At least from the various
Ministries I have interacted with. And this is not just a Kenya problem, I
have seen it across the region.

Harry

On 3/25/10 6:16 PM, "Gakiria" <gakiria at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> have highly skilled civil servants.
>
> On our part (Kenya e-Learning centre), we are working with the ministry of
> Information and communications and other stakeholders to start the process of
> harnessing our existing knowledge resources and other intangible assets for
> collective and National development objectives. One such initiative is the
> National e-Learning strategy development and implementation team. Skills
> development and transfer will form a core part of this strategy, targetting
> not only civil servants but also the private sector, civil society and
> religious organizations.
>
> Find attached a training program for the education and training sector as an
> example of course offerings being jointly developed.
>
> For those of you who can, i urge you to attend the regional e-Learning
> conference at KIE, 29 - 31March 2010 (http://www.icwe.co.ke/elearn2010/)
>
> Andrew
>
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Harry Hare <harry at africanedevelopment.org>
> wrote:
>> Harry and Dr Ndemo,
>>
>> The "lone ranger" approach to the implementation of ICT projects in
>> government is not easy to get rid of due to the various interests in these
>> projects at both the ministry and even private sector levels. Minisries
>> fight for budgets for their projects and would always want to control them.
>>
>> Now, we have a window that we could use to structure the development and
>> adoption of ICT in Government through a consultative development of the
>> "National ICT Masterplan".
>>
>> I think it is crucial that such a document is developed with a focus of
>> looking at how ICT can assist in redelivering the vision 2030. This will be
>> a holistic approach with a definite target. So all the ministry's will be
>> responsible for implementing their piece of the Masterplan and reading from
>> the same script. The implementation could be domiciled at the Ministry,
>> giving them the ownership, with the supervisory and management role at the
>> ICT Board or any such organisation.
>>
>> But having said that, there is a serious capacity problem in Government.
>> Having worked with various ministries, I realise that there is a big skills
>> gap of business technologists. The people with business knowledge who can
>> look at the processes/policy and develop a business case for automating that
>> process. These are the guys (inclusive of gals) who would take Dr Ndemo's
>> policy statements and turn them into implementable IT projects. These people
>> normally sit between the policy makers and the techies, cos they understand
>> both worlds.
>>
>> This is not to disrespect the techies who are actually working out of their
>> depth to initiate and manage complex systems in Government. But with the
>> absence of this carder, the quality of the resulting services and the
>> management of the projects will always be undermined.

http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/harry%40africanedevelop>>>
me