[kictanet] Used Computers

ikua at lpakenya.org ikua at lpakenya.org
Sat Mar 20 14:27:12 EAT 2010

We were shown that article by Dr Ndemo when we met him yesterday in
his office. Just that we never had adequate time to read it through. I
just wonder who did that research and how scientific it is. One thing
we were all in agreement with is that we will need to devise ways of
dealing with e-waste, whether its fromused computers or new ones.

There are various NGOs that already have e-waste management
facilities, such as Computers for Schools Kenya. This is way ahead of
the Government which does not have any plans to deal with e-waste.
This organization is actually helping the Government to deal with its
own e-waste and thereby assisting them to avoid dumping.

At the same time, there is agreement that we must separate computers
from the rest of electronic items being imported like fridges,
microwaves, radios etc. The figures in that report are outrageous and
misleading. Whereas you can cannibalize one computer and use the parts
to fix 9 others, I wonder how that can be achieved in something like a
malfunctioning cd player or fridge.

To say that those pushing to stop the ban have vested interests is to
miss the point. The same can be said for those pushing for the ban. If
the used computers are banned and we have to sell new ones, we will
still be in business assembling clones. The end user who cant afford
the higher cost of new computers is the one to suffer, and the economy
by extension.

If there is a way to bring down the cost of a new computer to under
10,000/=, then we will have nothing to complain about and obviously
there will not be any economic value in importing used computers.

Nice weekend everyone.
Ikua