[kictanet] Used Computers

Victor Maloi victormaloi3 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 13:27:24 EAT 2010

Listers,
I hope everybody read the Thursday Star article on e-waste.  The article
quoted a study conducted locally and found out that we import thousands of
tons in e-waste from developed countries.  Environmental agencies are
concerned.  For every one used computer that ends up being used, there are
ten to be juncked or to be used for canibalizing.  Do we really need this in
the country?  In my view we should support the Government's proposal to ban
the imports.  My brief research shows those supporting this effort are
themselves in the used electronics industry.  In all honest the benefits do
not justify our continued use of other people's waste.  PS Ndemo said we can
lower the cost of new computers to equal that of the used computer.  Why can
we not pursue this?

Victor.