[kictanet] the legacy of ICANN in Kenya - my take

Paul Kukubo pkukubo at ict.go.ke
Sun Mar 14 19:24:43 EAT 2010

Mureithi

Excellent Summary. I did attend some sessions at the ICANN and it was
impressive to see such small details work so well. Conference organisers did
a superb job with such important things as availing enough sockets and power
cables to laptop users at the conference.  Those with the greatest
understanding of this space on the new gTLDs (global Top Level Domains) must
keep the understanding and implications of this among the policy makers, the
industry and the general public here in Kenya.

Some  (if not most) of the sessions used Adobe Acrobat Connect (Online
Conference Software) to provide online collaboration to participants both
here and globally and the feedback from many is that it worked perfectly
thanks to stable and high quality links.

Yes I do agree that this validates our ability to provide collaborative
services of any kind over the internet and thus BPO. There was sizeable
amount of twitter feeds coming out of #ICANN sending details on the debate,
and even pics from the venues. The Twitter feeds are still on.

On another note, I am sitting on my laptop on twitter following another
conference taking place in  Texas on Africa (twitter ##africa3d0,  #sxsw)  (
http://sxsw.com/interactive) and Eric of Ushahidi has just been on a live
stream (about an hour ago) from Kenya speaking to conference participants
and reading in, I have seen comments on Mpesa and African Innovation come
mentioned.

>From tomorrow, www.nethope.org hosts its Annual Global Summit in Nairobi
bringing to Kenya over 70 top level CIOs from humanitarian organizations
around the world. I am hoping the Kenyans attending will broadcast this to
the rest of the world through the online tools available.

All these help build 'the ecosystem'.

Congratulations to the ICANN team here for a good organizational job.

Paul Kukubo
Chief Executive Officer, Kenya ICT Board
PO Box 27150 - 00100
Nairobi, Kenya

12th Floor, Teleposta Towers Koinange Street

Tel +254 20 2089061, +254 20 2211960
Fax: +254 20 2211962
website: www.ict.go.ke
local content project: www.tandaa.co.ke, www.facebook.com/tandaakenya
twitter:@tandaaKENYA
BPO Project: www. doitinkenya.co.ke
Digital Villages Project: www.pasha.co.ke

personal contacts
_______________

Cell: + 254 735 180001

skype: kukubopaul
googletalk: pkukubo
personal blog: www.paulkukubo.co.ke
personal twitter: @pkukubo

Vision: Kenya becomes a top ten global ICT hub

Mission: To champion and actively enable Kenya to adopt and exploit ICT,
through promotion of partnerships, investments and infrastructure growth for
socio economic enrichment