[kictanet] the used computers debate

lordmwesh lordmwesh at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 16:22:38 EAT 2010

 As much as we want to be proud of ourselves, it's only fair  we realize
Kenya is a "developing third world" as the wabeberu likes to call us.

In that regard, second hand items will always be part of us, cars,
computers, etc.

Instead of issuing a total ban, we can grade the second hand electronic
equipments that get into the country, just like we do for cars. This will
not prevent 'contraband' computers getting into the market, just the way we
can't prevent illicit drugs, and cars older than 10years sneaking through
our ports, but at least will help in regulating the quality that gets in.

Politics is a game of interest, but when making policies, we should always
look at the good interests of the whole county.

PS Ndemo, and me can afford powerful new computers, but what about the
college kid who is learning how to code, or the estate entrepreneur who is
setting up a cyber?

We all know that some new computer clones have poor performance than most
branded second hand imports.  For example, I have never been able to buy a
durable new keyboard or mouse, unless its part of a western branded new or
second hand computer. Maybe I don't know where to shop.

Most of the techies in this list will agree that a western branded second
hand computer (HP, Dell, et al) with 2.5GHZ CPU, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, and a
TFT all costing roughly KES24,000, and are just as good for daily
applications

Regards

Mwendwa Kivuva
0722402248

transworldAfrica.com | Fluent in computing
biblia.kenya.or.ke | A verse a day
kenya.or.ke | The Kenya we know