[kictanet] ICANN: Africa must work hard too...

Emmanuel Khisa Emmanuel.khisa at kadet.co.ke
Thu Mar 11 12:26:41 EAT 2010

Hi All,

This has most certainly been a very enlightening session for the short while
I have been around. I must say that it does help to encourage more industry
players to participate through creation of visibility and demystifying the
whole Internet Governance/ ICANN setups. I don't think we in Kenya lack the
drive or even the tricks to lobby, I just think the whole ICANN/Internet
Governance are generally shrouded in lots of secrecy, you would almost think
there are limited opportunities to go around.

My challenge to which I direct to myself first is that the broader ICT
community and Internet community more specifically MUST seek to get the
information out. More like the OFC kind of awareness that was created. The
internet community need not make this area such a technical and secretly run
group that the majority of stakeholders should be kept out but rather make
it a deliberate intention to inform the wider public about them through
media. The challenge goes to ICT Journalists as well, write more articles to
do with the subject. This way more and more members will gain awareness and
next time such chances come up it would be like CISA, CCNA Academies etc
(Just examples of how interest aroused creates even greater impact).

Just my thought.

EK

PS: McTim and the rest of the Kenyan "delegation" in the conference great
job. And the LOC, Congratulations for putting this together, Alice & Co.