[kictanet] Nothing like free dinner

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 12:29:12 EAT 2010

Wamuyu,

I want to believe you and Tim are both right  about Kenyan involvement in the ICANN process.  You could be right in that very few KENYAN voices are being heard and this could be because for most Kenyans this is their 1st ICANN Meeting - and one must learn their environment before engaging their mouths.

However, Tim is also right in that the ICANN meeting has many parallel programs (away from the main hall) that are technical and very engaging. I have found many Kenyans enjoying their time in these other forums that are equally important but less visible (glamorous?)

That said, it may be good that next time(maybe it was done), the core Kenyan team (KENIC, CCK, Gov?) would elicit Kenyan positions on various issues and strategically plant some Kenyans in the "crowd" to present those views when the ICANN board/councils open the floor for discussions. Methinks that that is what other countries, business communities and other stakeholders do.

Like today I was shocked to hear a verbal submission from the guys who want to run something called the dot.gay domain...Needless to say I couldnt contribute because I was simply undergoing some cultural-shock just by staring at THIS guy and not hearing what he was saying (but that's a story for another day ;-) Yeah, looks like the internet is not just about wires and cables...

walu.

walu.