[kictanet] KCSE Performance

Fatma Bashir fatma.bashir at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 12:06:11 EAT 2010

Mr Sang,

Thanks for the detailed reply to Ediths queries. Apart from the girl child,
I noted with concern that the performance of the sciences and Mathematics is
hurting more than that of the humanities and languages. This is not news.
Its our annual cry as an education body every march.

Shouldnt our efforts at KIE be to develop content that will assist the
delivery of these subject areas as clearly this is where the challenge is?
It has also been 3 years since the initiative started at KIE? why has it
taken this long? and is it possible to  let us know ( offline) which schools
have benfitted from the KIE content?
As a player in this sector I am very interested to monitor the progress of
digitzed content as a curriculum enrichment tool because we have been
waiting in the sidelines since FEBRUARY 2008 for the MOE to release the
report that the KIE provided them with on the evaluation of Digitzed content
from the private sector that was to be used in the schools digitization
program for the first 210 school nationwide. I am sure today we would have
alteast been looking at a vast improvement in science and maths grades in
over 200 schools.

I think that the KIE initiative to digitze content for the schools is
commendable but I hope it does fall prey to the challenges that KIE faced
when it was responsible for publishing of text books? I thought we learnt
our lesson then? futher more other countries seem to have realized that the
teacher/student creation of content model is a failure and that outsourcing
is the way to go. ( Uganda, Malaysia, India)

Lastly, it is always important to try and do things ourselves after all how
would we grow? but imagine if we refused the mobile phone, computer, the car
and medical technology because we simply had to create it ourselves, not
caring that others had the technology ready for us to use...where would be ?

Fatma