[kictanet] the budget and ICT

Ngũgĩ Kĩmani ngugi at mafundi.co.ke
Fri Jun 11 12:36:06 EAT 2010

Back in March 2010, the Kenyan government had announced a proposed ban on
second-hand computers, aimed at avoiding dumping and reducing electronic
waste in the country.

Well I've not heard that the ban is being enforced, or lifted, but I am a
buyer of second hand branded computers and I have established that they are
indeed more stable and reliable than "new" assembled klones.

I would advocate that the sale of second hand Dells and HPs and Compaqs etc
be allowed to continue, in fact be encouraged over assembly of klones,
because some of those computers have a minimum of 256 MB RAM + 2.something
processors and this is clearly adequate to run most open source
applications. What does a new user of computers need anyway - just OS
proficiency + word processing + spreadsheet. They can then move to faster
computers as their proficiency increases.

:)

--
Ngũgĩ Kĩmani
Fundi wa Mitambo