[kictanet] Postal Corporation Closing Outlets

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 11 10:54:29 EAT 2010

Hi,

It is with shock that I read about the closing of some of the post offices around the country by Postal Corporation.  This is an indication of a management that has no vision or ambition maybe as a result of using the corporation as a retirement centre.

With us trying to achieve universal access,  http://www.cck.go.ke/services/universal_access/downloads/FinalUAreport.pdf, shutting down post offices is a step in the wrong direction.  It is unfortunate that we have heard no reaction to this issue from the ministry of information, CCK or even Kenya ICTBoard.

It is time Postal corporation was run by someone who understands the transitioning of the role of the postal corporation in the digital age, to me they are the perfect platform for rolling out digital villages, outsorucing service and e-commerce.  This will avoid the appointment of executives who are more interested in the supply of fuel, tyres and insurance as opposed to moving the organisations to new heights.

Implementation of e-mail to mail systems would reduce the costs of transport incurred by PCK which makes up over 60% of their operational costs.  Unfortunately most of those who have been appointed to the post of post master general have no appreciation of the role of the postal services in the development of the nation.

Do not listen to the myopic stories about the death of the postal service because of e-mail, facebok and twitter as you and I know that a physical item can never be delivered electronically.

I believe the appointment of the next post master general and by extension the chief executive of the Kenya ICTBoard and CCK need to include vetting and recommendations from the private sector with clearly defined performance indicators.

Regards
 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor