[kictanet] The urgent case for a Regional Internet ExchangePoint (RIXP)

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 23:56:42 EAT 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 11:13 PM, Harry Delano <harry at comtelsys.co.ke> wrote:

> Thanks Brian, for the clarification and the graph..

yes, it's good to know, am not shocked that it seems to avg out at
56kbps symmetrical.  For a dozen ISPs, that is truly small. Take a
look at the 8 peers at UIXP for comparison:
http://stats.uixp.co.ug/peerorder.htm  They are doing over 2.5 Mbps on
that peering fabric.

> I suppose, since we now have some OFC, interconnectivity already to some
> degree,

This is the key thing, not only do we have cross border fiber, but we
have the rise of a regional carrier.  This was one of the goals of a
regional IXP project.  Would be nice to have more than one at some
point, but one has to start somewhere.

--
Cheers,

McTim