[kictanet] The urgent case for a Regional Internet Exchange Point (RIXP)

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 22:47:30 EAT 2010

Hi McTim,

Attached please find a graph reporting on "local" data transfer between 7
ISPs in Tanzania and 5 ISPs in Kenya via SimbaNet's "EAIXP".  This was back
in February last year - when I visited the control centre in Dar es Salaam.

As you will see, the graph only reports 1 week traffic - but the aggregate
(IN + OUT) is about 10Gb of traffic.

A key point to note is that this was via a slow satellite link running at
approx 256k

I can only imagine what we would see if the interlink was OFC!

There is definitely a critical need for this issue to be looked at closely
and in great detail.

Regards,

Brian