[kictanet] The urgent case for a Regional Internet Exchange Point (RIXP)

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 09:04:17 EAT 2010

A few years ago, under the EARPTO, we (TESPOK & AfrISPA)  initiated a pilot
EAC Regional Internet Exchange Carrier programme. Under this programme, the
Tanzanian ISP - Simbanet came out tops in the RFP. They then deployed
sat-based infrastructure linking KIXP and TIXP, but had some challenges
getting UIXP online.

They managed to get about 7 ISPs in TZ and about 4 in Kenya to connect to
their infrastructure. Within a few weeks of this, the setup was shifting
10Gb a week! - keeping it off the member ISPs expensive international links.

This was clear evidence of the need for such a service. It is my hope that
with the ongoing rollout of regional fiber optics we will see one or more
carriers who take up this opportunity to provide inter-ixp transit to keep
"regional traffic regional" just the way the IXPs keep "local traffic local"

Best regards,

Brian

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 7:06 AM, John Kariuki <ngethe.kariuki2007 at yahoo.co.uk

Brian Munyao Longwe