[kictanet] Privacy vs National Interest

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 16 10:06:50 EAT 2010

Hey All,
recall this my statement during the IG discussions and I quote:

>>the data on mobile  registration is definately at the telcos...and in the absence of Data Protection Act
which would define how that data is to be used, secured and accessed we
are indeed at the mercy of the Telcos.  Put more vividly, here  is what
I could (maliciously) do with data at the telcos(or even in government)
in the absence of legal protection.

1. I could sell the data to foreign marketing companys (some
marketing companies are willing to pay 1Ksh per record and if you have
18million records you can see the tempting mathematics) >>>cut

So my friends in the absence of a Data Protection Act, the data you submit to the telcos is at their disposal and will be managed as per their own internal data-protection rules. If you dont like the effects of their internal rules, the only recourse you have is to throw away your sim-card...going to the competitor wont help because the same legal framework (or lack of it) applies...

walu.
nb: @lordmwesh pre-paid customers have NO contract with the telcos - so there are indeed no "fine print" available to apply ;-)