[kictanet] Privacy vs National Interest

Victor Gathara v-gathara at dfid.gov.uk
Fri Jul 16 08:33:09 EAT 2010

Following this with interest. I think it would be improper for networks
to sell/avail subscriber numbers to others for promotional purposes
because subscribers don't have a choice to opt in to this when they sign
up for the service (I certainly didn't). Promotions from the network
itself are of course a different matter altogether.

Regarding spam where the sender gets phone numbers through unscrupulous
means the only solution may be to press the DELETE key. Sim card
registration should make it possible to pursue and prosecute offenders
(assuming there is a law against spamming in Kenya).

Victor