[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2010, Discussions :Day 5 of 8 Theme : Critical Internet Resources- Continuation

lordmwesh lordmwesh at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 17:27:00 EAT 2010

@Waudo, KENIC has a very good mechanism for domain transfers between
registrars. The process is as simple as 123. The domain owner
aproaches the registrar of choice, and decides to transfer in, the
registrar then puts an online request to the competitor to transfer
out. If he refuses, there is a despute committee than can arbitrate.
Of course the big players are the hardest to transfer out of, and also
some quacks will never transfer a domain at all. This is an issue of
ethics.

It would sound illogical to transfer an expired domain. You have to
renew it first.

If you have paid for domain renewal and it has not been renewed, then
you have been scammed. You can take the issue with KENIC desputes
committee.

@Judy, the KENIC pricing has been discussed at lengths. I used to
advocate lower prices, but since I became an insider, I now know
better. Look at the price of .xxx domain. At $60 translating at about
KES4500 with more than 100,000, domains already booked, that's $6M per
year, while .org and .com costs KES800, enjoying millions of
subscribers, thus giving them economies of scale. You will realise
that KENIC survives on a shoe string budget. If you look at their
balance sheets, you can't help but pity them. According to this
presentation by Kemibaro, .ke domains are not overpriced
http://www.slideshare.net/kemibaro/kenya-network-information-centre-kenic-marketing-plan-for-201011

We only have paltry 3000 .ke domains.

At some quarters, its has been argued that personal .me.ke domain
should be given out for free for the first year. Maybe even .sc.ke and
.ne.ke. I think that would be a brilliant marketing strategy, then go
back to 500bob per year thereafter.

Anybody advocating for lowering of .ke prices should also at the same
time come up with a survival tactic for KENIC. How they will pay their
staff and maintain the servers.

I would suggest that KENIC start offering hosting, colocation,
consultancy, and such related services. But again such divergence
might bring about conflict of interest.

@Barrack, you hit the nail directly at the head. That is perfect
observation that 'ask not what KENIC has done for you, but what you
have done for KENIC'. As registrars we are always faced with the
choice of whether to give our clients a ccTLD or gTLD. Most of us opt
for gTLD because we are saving some few cents. After doing a market
survey, I realised that most established registrar charge the same
amount for either gTLD or ccTLD. We need concerted effort and
willingness by the registrar to convince clients to take our .ke
ccTLD, only then, shall we prosper as a registry

We Kenyans should start feeling proud of our 'identity'. I think the
patriotic card can be played well to convince people to take our local
domains. The marking strategy of 'zingine ni COMmon' was very good. It
should be revived. We should also convince our politicians to take .ke
domain when they are launching their campaign websites. In that way,
the population will be exposed to the .ke brand.

Regards
Mwendwa Kivuva
0722402248
get a .co.ke at 2000 + VAT