[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2010, Discussions :Day 5 of 8 Theme : Critical Internet Resources- Continuation

Judy Okite judyokite at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 07:23:07 EAT 2010

Greetings All,

Thank you, for all your inputs to the previous threads.  Feel free to post
your belated remarks on the previous themes, by  clicking  on the correct
subject/title.

Today, we continue to discuss Critical Internet Resources,

1.       DNSSEC

2.       IPV6- the regulatory angle,

Yesterday,on Regulation McTim,said and I quote “I am of the opinion that if
a person or org wants to live in a v4 world, then a nation state sholdn't
preclude them from doing that. Having said that, I think it would be useful
to point out that most (if not all) kit imported (new and used) is either v6
ready or with a few software changes, can be made v6 ready.”

What is your thought?  Should we be concerned about e.g the hardware getting
into our country ?

 And if we should, who should be in charge of that?

 Reactions?

 Today , we add

3. .ke ccTLD management (Kenya Country Top Level Domain)

*Kenya Network Information Center (KENIC)* was borne through a broad based
consultative process of the "Local Internet Community" with an aim to
institute a local non-profit organization to manage and operate the .KE
ccTLD. This was an initial step to facilitate growth of the Internet
sub-sect and foster the uptake of ICT's in the country through a public
private partnership (ppp's). www.kenic.or.ke

KENIC has been managing the .ke , since its inception, but last year,

The Kenya Communications (Amendment) Act of 2009 mandated the Commission to
provide public policy oversight on the administration and management of the
dot KE country code Top Level Domain (ccTLD).

http://www.e-
government.go.ke/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=1&Itemid=119

1.       A message sent by Mr. Walubengo, before the discussions begun and I
quote

“ I just have an update from yesterday's KENIC AGM (www.kenic.or.ke) where
the Chair, Sammy Buruchara made some clarification on the role of the
regulator (CCK) with regards to the management of the 2nd level Kenyan domain
name space.

While he conceded  that the Kenya Comm. Act (2009) does mandate the
Regulator to oversee these subdomains,  the Minister had yet to issue
regulations on how it would be done because most stakeholders have shown
concern and reservations on that specific clause...meaning status quo
remains where the multistakeholder, public private partnership that makes up
KENIC still manages and oversees all levels of the .KE namespace untill
hopefully some consensus is reached on the way forward...”

Why has it taken this long for the Minister to act? Is there a
system/process and is it underway?

I would love to hear from the knowledgeable people, what effect has this had
in the market, more especially for the Registrars.

Your thoughts, inputs, corrections, are most welcome…

Kind Regards,
--
“To live is to choose. But to choose well, you must know who you are and
what you stand for, where you want to go and why you want to get there.”