[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2010, Discussions :Day 4 of 8 Theme : Critical Internet Resources

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 02:09:07 EAT 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:29 PM, lordmwesh <lordmwesh at gmail.com> wrote:
> I need enlightenment from those who are well versed with IPV6, apart
> from icreasing the number of devices that are publicly accessible,
> i.e. Public IP space, are there other special applications and
> innovations for IPV6 that IPV4 doesn't support?

Yes, in theory, which is why the 2 are not compatible.  Very few
network are putting all the v6 bells n whistles into practice however.

Look at the headers and you will see the diff.

BTW, I just got the below on afriv6-discuss, would be useful if
someone makes a similar move in Africa:

PRESS RELEASE

July 8, 2010, 10:36 a.m. EDT · Recommend · Post:
http://i.marketwatch.com/MW5/content/Story/Images/icon-facebook.gif
http://i.marketwatch.com/MW5/content/Story/Images/icon-twitter.gif
Qwest Addresses Explosive Internet Growth with Dedicated IPv6 Internet Address
Government and Business Customers Now Benefit from Enhanced End-to-End Security

http://i.marketwatch.com/MW5/content/story/images/PR-Logo-Businesswire.gif

DENVER, Jul 08, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- To stay ahead of the
Internet's explosive growth, Qwest Communications (Q 5.36, +0.01,
+0.09%) today announced it is offering public and private Internet
Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) addresses to its government and business
customers. Now Qwest iQ(R) Networking service customers can take
advantage of IPv6's built-in security measures and options, as well as
a near-endless supply of IP addresses.

This morning, Qwest chairman and chief executive officer Ed Mueller
announced the new IPv6 functionality during a keynote address at the
Cybersecurity Symposium 2010 conference hosted by the Armed Forces
Communications and Electronics Association (AFCEA) in Washington,
D.C.. Mueller also is the current chairman of the National Security
Telecommunications Advisory Committee (NSTAC).

KEY FACTS

-- Qwest offers transition paths so customers can use the next
generation of addressing protocol to run both IPv4 and/or IPv6
addresses via either:

-- Dual Stack approach which offers the ability to run both IPv4 and
IPv6 so customers may transition over time and with ease; or

-- Native IPv6 which allows Qwest customers to adapt to the
next-generation IP protocol as they build new locations and bring on
new sites and devices.

-- IPv4 has a limit of approximately 4 billion serviceable IP
addresses that will exhaust in 2011 as the current pool of available
IPv4 addresses dwindles to approximately 600 million, according to the
Internet Assigned Numbers Authority. However, IPv6 is nearly
inexhaustible (128 bits -- 2 to the 128th power).

-- With native IPv6, Qwest business and government customers no longer
need to use Network Address Translation (NAT), making configuration of
complex networks simpler while providing simpler connectivity between
peer-to-peer networks for highly secure end-to-end connectivity.

-- Through the Qwest Control dashboard, iQ(R) Networking service
customers can view their new IPv6 addresses, take advantage of trouble
ticketing and repair functions and create reports. Qwest iQ(R)
Networking service is a reliable and dedicated Internet access service
over the advanced Qwest 10 Gig backbone, one of the most sophisticated
networks available.

-- To participate in the federal government's Networx program, the
largest communications services contract in the world, Qwest was
certified to offer both IPv4 and IPv6 capability and public and
private network native IPv6 connectivity. In June, Qwest announced
compliance with the requirements for offering Most Trusted Internet
Protocol Services (MTIPS) to federal agencies under the Networx
contracts. Qwest provides its MTIPS Internet security solution in a
cloud-based environment to secure federal government agencies'
external access points to the Internet.

SUPPORTING QUOTE

Pieter Poll, Qwest chief technology officer

"Qwest has long supported the federal government's focus on cyber
security. We have worked actively with government and industry on
issues associated with protecting networks and the information that
flows through them. By offering the next-generation security that is
baked into dedicated IPv6 addressing, Qwest is doing its part to
provide government and business customers with the most advanced
Internet security that is available."

SUPPORTING RESOURCES

-- News Release: Qwest MTIPS Approved for Meeting OMB Directive to
Secure Internet Access; Federal Agencies Must Select Vendor, Place
MTIPS Orders by Aug. 31, 2010

About Qwest Business

Qwest Business is a choice of 95 percent of Fortune 500 companies,
offering a comprehensive portfolio of data and voice networking
communications solutions to enterprises, government agencies and
educational institutions of all sizes. The Qwest network backbone
covers the entire continental United States and has one of the largest
fiber footprints in the U.S., capable of supporting 40 Gbps data
transmission rates now and 100 Gbps soon. Go to Qwest.com/business to
see why enterprises coast-to-coast rely on Qwest for first-class
communications solutions and to learn more about Qwest's commitment to
perfecting the customer experience.

The marks that comprise the Qwest logo are registered trademarks of
Qwest Communications International Inc. in the U.S. and certain other
countries.

SOURCE: Qwest Communications

--
Cheers,