[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2010, Discussions :Day 4 of 8 Theme : Critical Internet Resources

lordmwesh lordmwesh at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 13:15:23 EAT 2010

Policy on IPV6 would come in handy. Assume that one day we wake up, and
there are no more public IPV4 to allocate, yet our companies and government
agencies are stuck with IPV4 hardware. According to AFRINIC, we only have
like 370 days to exhaustion of IPV4. We are coming to an era where all
appliances home and industrial will be IP based. I dream of a day when I
will turn on my home alarm from the office, or when I will turn off the
fridge from another country.

@Barrack, you are right by calling us names "A copy paste society" J. But
don’t forget the East achieved innovation and growth by first realizing that
"imitate then innovate" is just as good. Ask Tata motors who now own big
brands like Land Rover. Isaac Newton put it correctly, " If I have seen
further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants. ". On us being a copy
paste society, you realize the problems we face, struggling with the basic
essentials of life, that being food, health, and shelter, and also the
mediocrity of our politicians that filters through to the down trodden.
Congratulations to the relevant Kenyan Ministries of Technology which have
really endeavored to be being abreast with changing trends in the tech field
despite the many challenges we face. On innovation, our universities and
institutes have outdates labs, and teach outdated subject that were copy
pasted some years back from the west. Solutions to these problems have to be
found.

As much as Muchuki has put a good effort in explaining the update of IPV6 in
Kenya, we are far behind our Brothers in South Africa as shown
http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/dfp/all/?country=za

Early adoption of IPV6 would help us learn and get experience on the various
services and innovation that we can implement on the new IP scheme. We don’t
want to be struggling with implementing IPV6 systems decades down the line
after the west are comfortably using theirs. Michuki put it correctly, we
need the experience of using the new scheme, not just the theory we learn in
Cisco classes. And experience can only be achieved by implementation

DNSSEC signing of the root domain server will surely improve cyber security.
We all know DNSSEC has been adopted by Internet Society through the
isoc.orgdomain, and the Public Interest Registry also announced that
the entire .org
domain is now running on DNSSEC. In the KENIC AGM, the Chairman Mr Burachara
hinted that they are exploring DNSSEC, with an aim of implementing it. Maybe
the Chairman or Joe can clarify further

Some social complexities of DNSSEC according to
http://epic.org/privacy/dnssec/ have been identified

   1. The DNS system consists of both resolvers (find the DNS data for a DNS
   name) and hosts (those that publish DNS data for a domain name). The pilot
   in Sweden has shown that DNSSEC is only of value when both the hosts and
   resolvers deploy
   2. The implementation of DNSSEC has proven to be pricely and it is
   difficult to develop a viable business model and pricing strategy. Sweden
   proposed a skimming strategy: setting the price high and lowering it to
   increase demand.

Regards
Mwendwa Kivuva
transworldAfrica.com | Fluent in computing
transworldAfrica.com/domain | The ALL powerful domain search tool
kenya.or.ke | The Kenya we know
oneshop.biz | Open for business
biblia.kenya.or.ke | A verse a day