[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2010, Discussions :Day 4 of 8 Theme : Critical Internet Resources

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 10:30:42 EAT 2010

Thanks Judy for bringing up an exciting discussion at least you brought on
board the consumers albeit through friendly fire :-), @ Alex, even in
Lancaster very few went but the benefits are there for all i am sure we are
on the right track. @ Walu i suppose i agree with your sentiments the
problem is the mentality, we are a copy paste society even though we are
slowly moving out of this, i suppose the only way we can change is for the
governmnet to recognize and reward innovation, we have made some attempts in
this direction but the have not been very successfull, as a country we might
need to review our strategy is so far as technologically inspired R&D is
concerned, i had an opportunity to visit the University of Nairobi Labs one
day and i was amazed at what was going on inside that building unfortunately
brilliant ideas end in the lab since there is no one to expose them, i
suppose we might need to review our approach towards technology incubators @
Mich you couldnt have put it in a better way, it will take a few daring
organisations to help us cross over, as you have rightly mentioned all that
Mwanainchi wants is stable secure and efficient Internet, however we need a
people who will ensure that this is the case and congratulations for doing
that alongside McTim, the KIXP team, Walu at Afrinic, CCK and Kenic, on
another note i suppose CCK should include some of this terms in its consumer
outreach programs to educate Mwanainchi starting at school level.

Barrack O. Otieno
+41767892272
Skype: barrack.otieno