[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2010, Discussions :Day 4 of 8 Theme : Critical Internet Resources

Michuki Mwangi michuki at swiftkenya.com
Thu Jul 8 10:19:28 EAT 2010

Hi Walu, et al,

Walubengo J wrote:
> thanx for this thread - particularly on IPv6. I particularly love
> this tool http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/dfp/all/?country=ke
>
> I sit on the both the Kenyan IPv6 Task Force and the AfriNIC Board
> and this tool just tells me how badly am doing on both accounts (it
> appears only UUNET seems to be on IPv6! Other providers including
> those with critical Kenyan resources KENIC, KIXP, KENET remain off
> IPv6 - Kiragu/Mich/Prof. Meoli is this really true?).

Not entirely. The Sixxs tool does not show prefixes that are not
globally visible. IXP prefixes for that matter are not globally
routed/announced hence they are not included.

KIXP has been on IPv6 for a while now. FYI we have 6 members at KIXP
peering on IPv6 4 of which are announcing a prefix to the IXP. A quick
check on the Route-Server shows the following 3 /32s and 1 x /48

KenyaIX-RS-1#sh bgp ipv6
BGP table version is 141, local router ID is 198.32.143.3
Status codes: s suppressed, d damped, h history, * valid, > best, i -
internal,
              r RIB-failure, S Stale
Origin codes: i - IGP, e - EGP, ? - incomplete

   Network          Next Hop            Metric LocPrf Weight Path
*> 2001:500:2F::/48 2001:43F8:60:1::125
                                             0             0 33074 3557 i
*> 2001:4238::/32   2001:43F8:60:1::72
                                                           0 21280 i
*> 2001:4368::/32   2001:43F8:60:1::67
                                                           0 9129 i
*> 2C0F:FE40::/32   2001:43F8:60:1::81
                                             0             0 33770 i

IMHO this is a good start since those behind this networks are already
starting to gain operational experiences on IPV6. I would like to thank
them for taking this initiative.

> It looks like Kenya (and Africa in general) does not need the new
> internet plaftorm (IPv6).  And as the rest of the world moves
> forward, we sit and wait to complain later - that the rich West has
> yet again grabbed all the Internet Resources from the poor South...

I know there are afew others on the way, the probably next question is
why we are not seeing all the above prefixes announced globally. There
could be a lot of other challenges including transit providers who dont
have native v6. Asking an ISP to setup a tunnel is probably not the best
way to going forward, but then its likely the only way if their upstream
providers are yet to get v6 ready.

FYI - the /48 IPV6 prefix is from the F-Root-Servers at KIXP. That means
we already have some basic IPv6 services at the KIXP.

It would also be good if KENIC can bring the IPv6 online for their
services. Already some of their slave name-servers are on IPV6 which is
a good start.

2 more cents :)

Michuki.