[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2010 Mailing List Discussions Day 3 of 8 Theme : Infrastructure Issues - Impact of the Unified Licensing Model IGF Mailing List Discussions

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 01:08:03 EAT 2010

Listers,

We will carry on with discussions on Infrastructure issues, feel free to
comment on other threads as we move on. Today we review the impact of the
Unified Licensing Model. ICT industry stakeholders gave the Communications
Commission of Kenya the green light to implement a unified technology
licensing framework. We may all agree that to a good extent the regulator
has done well in so far as the promises it made are concerned, however there
has been a lot of hue and cry in the industry lately as players flex their
muscles using the provisions of the model to gain the most in terms of
market share, however according to David Rogerson a technology expert
Unified Licensing is no Panacea, in a article posted on
http://www.ovum.com/go/content/c,62120,68257, he points out the fact that
Unified Licensing model will not magically transform the moribund fixed
networks in Africa or elsewhere, as to whether we agree or not…the floor is
open

Reference Sources : http://www.mulonga.net/forum/index.php?topic=442.0;wap2