[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2010 Mailing List Discussions Day 1 of 8 Theme : Review of the 2009 IGF Mailing List Discussions

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 14:18:40 EAT 2010

Thank you for raising this interesting perspective Judy. In my humble
opinion there is a local perspective to Internet Governance Issues and a
Global Perspective to the same. The Local initiative is not tied to the
global one and i suppose this might give us some leeway to review whether we
need to continue with it or not. In my opinion, i do feel with or without
the global initiative we have to carry on with our local version of the
Internet Governance Forum. I might not have an authoritative opinion in so
far as Internet usage statistics are concerned but as far as i know we still
have less than ten million Internet users which leads me to ask the question
why? to attempt to answer myself i will attempt to identify the various
constituencies on the Internet
Children
Youth
Small and Medium Enterprises
Banks
Academia
Technical Community
Governmnet
all this are sources of income for the governmnet and if we are to grow our
GDP it is imperative that we get all this stakeholders together and identify
their priorities in so far as Internet Usage is Concerned. Why should
education be expensive with e-learning?, why should healthcare be costly
with e-health, why should banking be costly with e-banking?, i hope this
makes a case for the vailidity of the Kenya IGF forum, differing
perspectives are invited though :-)

--
Barrack O. Otieno
+41767892272