[kictanet] The end of Open Source as we Know it?

John K. Njoroge kabogojn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 11:33:02 EAT 2010

True Evans!

Open Source Software (OSS) has a long life and is here to stay. OSS actually
scares Proprietary Software such that the latter wants to kill the former at
the earliest possible opportunity. I agree that the OSS community is larger
than MySQL. And infact, I predict that the biggest growth in OSS will be in
developing countries, hoping that Kenya will among others, provide the next
generation of leaders in the use of ICTs and the Internet.

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Dorcas Muthoni <dmuthoni at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Evans!
>
> I second you
>
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Evans Ikua <ikua at lpakenya.org> wrote:
>
>> Not that there would be a "Kenyan Position" but my personal opinion is
>> that Open Source is larger than MySQL and Sun. Maybe you could have
>> predicted the end of MySQL, which is still not probable, but not Open Source
>> in general. Nobody can buy the worldwide open source community.
>>

>> --
>> Evans Ikua
>> Linux Professional Association of Kenya
>> Tel: +254-20-2250381, Cell: +254-722 955 831
>> Eagle House, 2nd Floor
>> Kimathi Street, Opp. Corner House
>> www.lpakenya.org
>>

>> Quoting Al Kags <alkags at alkags.com>:
>>
>>  http://alkags.com/?p=493 <https://photos.sun.com/thumbnail/400/400/5163>
>>>

>>> It occurs to me (after a spell of burying my head in some sand) that
>>> Oracle
>>> has bought Sun Microsystems (who in turn had bought MySQL)It occurs to me
>>> (after a spell of burying my head in some sand) that Oracle has bought
>>> Sun
>>> Microsystems (who in turn had bought MySQL). I have several issues in my
>>> head that are struggling to find words: 1) that Jonathan Schwatz, my
>>> favorite CEO blogger, is moving on (this is just that sentimentalclinging
>>> -
>>> "don't go!") but more importantly 2) this buy-out may signify the end of
>>> Open Source as we know it.
>>>
>>> What is Kenya's position on the matter? I imagine that this has been
>>> discussed in the technology policy circles?

> Muthoni
>
> My Blog: http://rugongo.blogspot.com/
> Mahatma Gandhi once said:-
>
> First they ignore you,